Monday, February 7, 2011

What's the best bank account and credit card/debt card for a person aged under 18?

What's the best bank account and credit card/debt card for a person aged under 18?
I'm looking for a good bank company in the UK as I'm a full time student and I need a credit card or debt card. I have looked around but none accept me as they say I need to over 18. I also have noticed you need to apply to a bank account before you get a credit card? Barclay's is what my family uses.
Credit - 5 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
I would go for RBS and they offer a root 21 card for anyone under 21 which has worked perfectly for me
Answer 2 :
is there a Chase Bank there...they have some awesome checking and savings stuff for kids/pre adults...excellent customer service and people available to help you in many ways with finances.....
Answer 3 :
You cannot have a credit card until your 18 and over, so of course they won't give you one! You can however have a bank account with debit card from age 11+ with some banks. Anyone can also have a bank account and cash card! Natwest do an adapt account for under 18's and you can have a debit card with that. student accounts are only given to those 18 and over, because they will be in uni or other education. You may be 16-18 and in full time education but you cannot have a student bank account with credit card because your still under 18. Student bank accounts also typically come with an overdraft and maybe even a cheque book which You cannot have because your under 18. I had a natwest bank account from 12, with debit card, and used it when I went to work full time at 16 BUT I was NOT able to get a cheque book, overdraft or credit card until I was 18! No point applying to credit card companies or even ANY bank for a crediot card, you won't get one! Apply for an under 18 account, and when you turn 18 (even if that is only 2 months away) THEN you can go into the bank and ask to upgrade! Since your family is with barclays I'd suggest you go into a branch and ASK them what they can give to under 18's! Best bet is to always talk to somone face to face. Good Luck!
Answer 4 :
no, it is not necessary to have a bank account to apply for a credit card. you need your parents to refer you to the bank for credit card. http://www.creditrepairinfo.com
Answer 5 :
you can't have a card on your own if you are not of legal age..under 18 is a minor.

Read more other entries :