Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How do I trace a lost savings account?

How do I trace a lost savings account?
I believe it was with Equity Law Life. Is there a resource online or elsewhere for finding savings accounts? Thanks for your help, but I live in Britain so I'm afraid your suggestions are not relevant.
Personal Finance - 2 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Is the company still around? If yes, check with them. If not, then check with the state the savings account was with. It's different for every state, but each state has a department that handles unclaimed or abandoned property for a while.
Answer 2 :
Go to www.unclaimed.org. It has links to all the states unclaimed property. Go to state you lived in when you had the account and should be able to do a search for it. If it is old enough to have been turned over to the state.

Read more other entries :