Saturday, June 1, 2013

Can somebody working as PA retrain to become an Accountant?

Can somebody working as PA retrain to become an Accountant?
I am working as a PA at a board level and truly hate it. Is it still possible for me to become an accountant? Would it be difficult to make this transition? I am 30 years old. I have a degree, but it's in languages, nothing to do with finance. I live in the UK.
Administrative and Office Support - 3 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
You can always change careers at any age, it all depend on the time you want to put in and the cost. Sometimes you just can't leave one field for another because you would have to start at the bottom of the new field and you may not be able to pay your bills on the new (often lower) salary. Also you have to consider how much it will cost to get trained in the new field. In your case you will need schooling in Finance. I suggest holding on to the current job as you train to be an account, then switch.
Answer 2 :
Of course you can! My degree was in History and Spanish and I now work as an Accountant for a manufacturing firm (I'm what they call Qualified by Experience). I've just this year decided to get round to taking my Accountancy exams in my spare time and am enjoying it thoroughly. I'm 36 by the way so I would say go for it!
Answer 3 :
Yes it is quite possible a lot has to due with your drive, initiative, and ability with numbers. It is not too late and many people are making many different kinds of switches. I hope this helps and wish you all the best in making the transition. Good luck

Read more other entries :